Tullah was originally a mining town called Mt Farrell which was first established in 1900 following the discovery of silver lead ore by Tom Farrell in 1892. On the 9th of April 1901 the Development of Lands, without consultation with the locals, gave the town the name of Tullah, which in aboriginal means 'meeting of waters'.
In March 1908 the Mt Farrell tramway was completed which was the first mode of transportation out of the town except horse or foot. The Wee Georgie Wood Steam Railway was linked to the Emu Bay Railway in 1924.
In 1964 after the completion of the Murchison Highway the tramway was closed.
In 1973 the Hydro Electric Commission commenced building of the Pieman River Power Development. All of the construction for this project was undertaken in Tullah, boosting it's population up to 2500. The Hydro used Tullah as a base for construction on the West Coast up until 1994. Tullah Lakeside Lodge was first built as part of the Hydro Electric
Commission workers accommodation.
Since then, it has been sold a couple of times to different people to run as backpackers accommodation & motels. The current Tasmanian owners have had the business since late 2009 and have made a lot of improvements in and around the Lodge, from beautifying and installing gardens, renovating rooms to even building a new function centre overlooking the lake. It is the perfect venue for a wedding, corporate event or other celebration.